Mildura Reserve – community update
Sydney Water has been working closely with City of Canterbury Bankstown to refine and finalise the concept designs for a stormwater treatment area at Mildura Reserve in Campsie.
In March and April 2018, Sydney Water and the City of Canterbury Bankstown sought feedback on the concept designs for the proposed stormwater treatment area at Mildura Reserve. This was done via an online survey, feedback form and a community information session held at Mildura Reserve on 24 March 2018.
The full consultation report can be read here.
What we heard:
When we spoke to the community in March and April 2018, we heard the following were highly valued:
- rain gardens, wetlands and a saltmarsh zone
- new paths through Mildura Reserve
- improving the habitat for plants and animals along the Cooks River edge
In addition, the community suggested keeping open lawn areas for dogs and ball games; more seating and shade; water bubblers and rubbish bins; nature based play; and flora and fauna habitat features.
What we have done:
After listening to the community, we have refined the design for Mildura Reserve to:
- retain large open areas of lawn and refined the pedestrian path that crosses the site
- refine the shape and functioning of the wetland and rain gardens, and introduce elements of nature-based play
- introduce additional native trees to provide shade around proposed seating areas and enhance the habitat values of the park
Latest concept design incorporating community feedback