Milson Park – final detailed concept design
Sydney Water is working closely with the City of Parramatta Council to refine and finalise the design for a stormwater treatment area at Milson Park in Westmead.
In November 2017, Sydney Water and the City of Parramatta Council sought feedback on preliminary concept designs for the proposed stormwater treatment area. The community was invited to provide feedback via an online survey, feedback form and a community information session held at Shannon’s Paddock on 4 November 2017.
The full consultation report can be read here. The project is also part of the City of Parramatta’s Masterplan for Milson Park, which included community consultation and was approved by Council in 2018. The Masterplan can be viewed here.
The final design has now been prepared, taking into consideration the feedback received from the community. It can be viewed here.
What we heard:
When we spoke to the community in November 2017, we heard the following were highly valued:
- planted stormwater treatment areas
- new walking and cycling paths through the park
- improved habitat for plants and animals
- nature play and fitness stations
- picnic and BBQ facilities.
In addition, some members of the community expressed their support to maintain the presence of the horses that are currently informally kept at the site.
Unfortunately, this is not possible, however City of Parramatta Council are working closely with the horse owner to find a suitable alternative location for the horses.
What we have done:
After listening to the community, we have refined the design for Milson Park to:
- retain large open areas of lawn for passive recreation and refined the pedestrian-cycle path that transects the site
- refine the shape and function of the wetland and rain gardens and introduced elements of nature-based play
- introduce additional native plantings and trees to provide shade around proposed seating areas and enhance the habitat values of the park
- incorporated an area that could be used as a community garden or farm
We also received additional suggestions from community members, including public toilets, a dog off leash area and traffic calming methods regarding the crossing of Darcy and Mons Road into the park. These will be passed on to the City of Parramatta Council for future consideration.
Final design incorporating community feedback
Indicative image of proposed design
The complete detailed design can be viewed here.
The construction contract will soon be awarded, with work expected to commence in early 2020. We will continue to keep the community updated before and during construction.